There are two ways you can minimise your bill. The first is to make sure you’re paying a low price per kilowatt. The second is to use as few kilowatts as possible.
With this in mind, we have developed a simple 6-step ‘Power Diet’ to help you slim down your big fat bill:
- Step 1 – Start off on the right foot: Make sure you are on the right energy plan for you by comparing a range energy plans and switching through www.GoSwitch.com.au
- Step 2 – Make a plan: Look on your most recent bill for how many kilowatts you consumed and set yourself a goal for cutting down – your recommended kilowatt intake
- Step 3 – Watch your intake: Identify the power guzzlers in your home and moderate your consumption. We have developed a Power Pyramid, showing how some of the main household appliances compare. Some appliances are particularly energy intensive and should be thought of like fast food (the clothes dryer is a main offender here)
- Step 4 – Be active: Say no to standby mode and unplug appliances at the wall. As much as 20% of your bill can result from ‘energy leaks’ or appliances on standby mode
- Step 5 – Get the right gear: Get rid of your second fridge and your third television, and replace old appliances with ones that are more energy efficient
- Step 6 – Nature’s best: There are hundreds of ways you can switch off the power and take advantage of natural energy. A few tips for improving the energy efficiency of your home are listed in the Energy Saving Tips section of our website